Sunday, December 7, 2008

Something Different

Pondering aimlessly upon these questions, "Where should I have dinner tonight?" "What should I eat?", every food outlet that I could think of seemed to be a total bore. So, I checked my cupboard and discovered that I still had bread and above all, I still had some ba kua (dried sliced pork) left!




Left over gardenia bread...





















For those of you who have never seen dried pork slices, it's basically something like dried pork ham I guess.









Yeah! THAT'S IT!!!! Ba kua sandwich for dinner!!!! Whupeee!!!!!
However, little did I know that my stomach was gonna have to digest something else for dinner instead.....
something different indeed....

Staring at my computer screen, a yellow flashing light at the tool bar caught my attention. It was Kei Fai sending me an MSN message. He invited me over to his place to cook for dinner. Flattered, I gave it a thought. Nah, dried pork sandwich was in my mind at that time so I humbly declined his offer. I told him what I was going to eat and I offered some ba kua to him since this precious meat is soooooooooooooo hard to come by here. This is where Kei Fai had a brilliant idea. With much excitement, he told me to bring the ba kua over to his place immediately. And so, I did just that.

As soon as I reached his place, he told me that he was going to place cubes of ba kua into his mushroom gravy. What he initially had had in mind was to have dried (kuan lo) noodles with mushroom gravy. This gravy is something like the che cheong fun mushroom gravy that you can typically find in Ipoh. Over here in Melaka, such gravy is hard to come by. In fact, as an Ipohlian ,"good" food is really truly hard to come by.Take my word for it guys.


But...
Seeing a wonderful opportunity, he literally tore 2 slices of ba kua into small slices and dumped those chunks of ba kua into the gravy. He added a bit more water and heated the gravy. While waiting, we could smell the delicious aroma of the gravy which smelled something like mushroom and ba kua (like duh....) Our appetites grew and our stomachs were now extremely demanding to be fed..

After taking out the noodles from the oven (yeah, we placed a bowl of instant noodles with water into the oven to cook 'em), we poured the precious gravy onto the noodles...




Ta daaaaaaa


Ahhh, the moment of truth had come. It was now time for the best part which was to taste the gravy to see if it was as good as it smelled.
We scooped the gravy and let it sunk into our taste buds......










Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
YUMMMYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

What a HEAVENLY TASTE INDEED!!!!!!!

As predicted, it had the sweet ba kua taste. The flavour of the mushrooms were pretty much enhanced, giving the gravy a rich flavour. The gravy was neither too thick nor too thin. It had the salty taste from the salt and oyster sauce. Simply perfect...

It was so delicious yet so simple and easy to make, it'll make you say, "Now, why didn't I think of that before?"

ahhhh, the taste was soooooooooo gooooood!!!
Our tongues were in heaven!!!


The noodles were covered with generous portions of mushroom and ba kua slices



The fabulous gravy...


And here's our happy ' Naked Chef ,'
the genius behind the brilliant innovation...
K5!!!!!


No guys, he's not a begger in newspapers.

He is a student of MMU and a wonderful friend of mine with a wacky personality

He loves to make new friends.

And most importantly, he is still single =P


Do not hesitate to add him in Friendster for you never know, he might once again surprise you with another amazing recipe !!!!!

http://profiles.friendster.com/kaegokage





After the satisfying meal, we chit chat'ed as usual..
Time certainly passes by pretty fast when you are enjoying yourself...
Before going back, K5, Mun Hoe and I decided to go to the market the next morning to buy ingredients for another cooking session.
And with people like Kei Fai and Mun Hoe around,
cooking will certainly be a tasty adventure indeed!!!!

0 comments: